RE: [EFM] PON timing parameters

Lior,

You are right to say that the efficiency difference between the
remaining two choices is small, so why not go with the looser spec
(laser on/off at the ONU).  But it is my understanding that even with
the looser spec, the transceiver laser on/off driver needs to be
modified, so in that case it might as well be modified to 16 nsec
on/off.  What the modified C has going for it is:

(a) the laser on/off spec is available from several vendors today
(technically feasible)
(b) NO ONU parameter negotiation during discovery
(c) it avoids multiple "flavors" of ONUs (this is key)
(d) OLT does not need to keep track of ONU parameter table
(e) it matches ITU-T specs at the ONU

I think Option C (as modified) is, as Frank says, a practical
compromise.  It seems to hit the sweet spot between those looking at
settable parameters, and those looking at fixed tight parameters.  It
gives flexibility at the OLT, and fixes the ONT values.  I'm looking
forward to the call next week to hear from Meir, Tom, Ketan, etc .. as I
am picking up a lot from their comments.  Personally, I like to try to
see this driven to consensus before Vancouver.  What the B supporters
need to prove now is that a 600 nsec ONU is less expensive than a 16
nsec ONU.   If that can't be shown, there are no remaining roadblocks to
the modified Option C in my opinion.

Happy holidays to you.
__________________________

Gerry
__________________________

Vipul_Bhatt@ieee.org;
> stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org
> Subject: RE: [EFM] PON timing parameters
>
> Gerry,
> A valid conclusion from your excel sheet could also be:
> use option B (even without negotiation)!
>
> After all the difference in efficiency is only 1.9%.
> 5.7%-3.8%=1.9%
>
> Lior Khermosh
> Passave

OLT