Re: AW: [EFM] PON Optics Telephone Conference, December 5th

Jonathan:
I am surprised at your response to Roy's challenge, especially in your position as the Pres. of the EFMA.  Our documented charter for 802.3ah is "subscriber access networks" and I definitely don't see that as a LAN solution or anywhere in the "LAN" domain.  Metro edge, carrier extension or even LAN extension, but definitely this is not a LAN
as we have defined it for all of these years in our work within the 802.3 scope.  (Do you want me to mention the motivation for the MEF?)  Whether or not you agree (I presuppose), the (802.3ah TF) is now definitely in the carrier/service provider space and we must consider different options than we would in the old premise LAN network
segment days.  I would even argue that our larger .3 work group should take on the issue of something that I am considering as a future 802.3 concept I will only identify now as Carrier Ethernet (native 802.3 transport).  Fits with my history, but more on that later.
Back to Roy's comments, I don't see how CIO's or even network architects as you so state in your reply will be involved in this decision about the protocol or selection of "subscriber access networks" (read EFM).  CIO's and network architects have a handful of standardized access option choices to chose from for their large enterprise
businesses.  Roy's comments as I see them pertain to the subscribers that are the target or focus of our specifications within 802.3ah so his comments are germane.  What we have to do is, to quote my neighbor Steve, "Think Differently."  Otherwise, we are inside of the "subscriber access" space, i.e. back inside the demarc of the enterprise
and we already have plenty of 802.3 specifications at 25 degrees C for this environment.  That leaves the carrier/service providers with an untenable solution from 802.3 for their customer requirements and will force them to migrate to FSAN and other standards bodies for an access solution.
I feel that we face a larger issue which is, are we willing to secede this standards space to MEF or the ITU?.  So I recommend that we consider Roy's' issues as a positive input rather than to dismiss them as irrelevant.  Ethernet as we know it, whether we like it, is changing.  Let's manage that migration to our mutual benefit.
Sincerely,
Richard Brand

begin:vcard
n:Brand;Richard C.