Re: [EFM] RE: Pause frame usage in transport networks

Carlos,

I agree 100% with your assessment, but only for "packet" services.  Since
most what is being referred to as "broadband services" is actually a form
what the ITU has defined as "packet" services your assessment would also
apply to those so called "value added services".  I believe that your
assessment of the implementation of different types of congestion control
would only apply to "broadband services" or other types of "packet" services.

For "Frame Relay", the data link layer is defined to have a from of
congestion control.  For the Frame Relay protocol, it uses forward explicit
congestion notification (FECN) and backward explicit congestion
notification (BECN).  In some respects these operate similarly to "pause"
MAC Control frames defined in 802.3x.   FECN and BECN are "in-band" with
the customer traffic and thus belong to, and for the use of the service
provider.  FECN and BECN are generally set by the service provider for
network congestion control within the service provider facilities.  FECN
and BECN might also be seen by the customer's equipment at each end of the
service, and would be required to respond accordingly

802.3x MAC Control frames are in band with the customer traffic in the
link.  For services that are not "broadband", "packet", or "Frame Relay",
the specific traffic in the link belongs to the customer and is only for
the customer's use.  Where the access bandwidth is greater than the
transmission bandwidth, the transmission facility can issue a message to
the customer facility that prevents the customer facility from
"overrunning" the transmission facility.  Within the link, end to end, both
the access facility at each end and the transmission facility in the middle
are considered by law to be the temporary "property" of the customer.  This
is what is meant as a "leased circuit".  The law in most countries treat
"switched circuits" the same way while the "circuit" is established end to
end.  For these services, your assessment would not apply, and another from
of congestion control must be used.  This is where 802.3x will be useable.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum