Re: [EFM] Service provider OAM for Leased Line services

Scott,

While the 802.3ah TF should not specifically indicate how to get access to
the copper PHY EOC through registers within the 802.3ah drafts.  Doing that
makes it available to the customer and can be construed as part of the
customer bandwidth/circuit/link.  By allowing the EOC to only be accessible
through a transmission convergence management layer, it becomes exclusively
useable to the service provider and can not be construed as part of the
customer bandwidth/circuit/link.  I think that the 802.3ah copper PHY
sub-task force is doing the correct thing by adopting the ITU mapping but
not making the management in the mapping part of the MAC Layer management.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum