Re: [HSSG] channelized vs non-channelized B-MAC

Title: Message

Marcus,

My interpretation of the idea behind the scalable MAC was related to the creation of a generic aggregation layer between the MAC and the PCS that would allow the bonding of 1:N lanes.  It was then suggested that since it is 1:N lanes, the solution could be scaled to any number of lanes between 1 and N with the intent of creating a MAC data rate greater than 10 Gb/s.  This is what was presented at the CFI.

I have been observing the conversation over the past two days regarding the excess capacity that might exist in a scalable solution and was waiting to see

  • if the conversation would gravitate towards an objective in line with the CFI
  • further discussion / definition of the scalable interface.

I am seeing further discussion about what some may think are potential limitations of a scaleable MAC.  That is of relevance to this effort, but the proposal of a “channelized” MAC is something that, as Geoff had said when discussing jumbo frames – “would be an effort towards a goal that was not even mentioned in the Call For Interest nor mentioned in the discussion leading up to the vote on forming the Study Group.”

I would prefer the group focus on objectives that are related to what was presented in the CFI:

Thanks!

John