From: Brad Booth [mailto:bbooth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 2:38 PM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [HSSG] Backwards compatibility

James,

Good question.  Unlike copper PHYs that use Clause 28 auto-negotiation to determine the capabilities of each PHY and to use the highest common denominator, nothing to-date exists in 802.3 for the optical PHYs to do the same.  Depending on the approach taken by the task force (once formed), this may be a viable option to consider.  For example, an n x 10G solution could use a base channel to communicate the capabilities of each end of the link.

Cheers,
Brad