From: John DAmbrosia [mailto:jdambrosia@FORCE10NETWORKS.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:08 PM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [HSSG] Reminder - Request for Presentations for January

Dear HSSG Members,

This is a reminder that presentation requests and materials are due to me by Wednesday January 10.

Our objectives for the meeting will include selection of objectives and drafting the PAR and 5 Criteria.  Anyone wishing to present, please submit your request per the guidelines that may be found at the Procedure for Presenters web page: http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/hssg/public/presentproc.html.  Presentations should be kept to 20 minutes in duration, excluding time for questions and answers.  Requests for presentation time greater than 20 minutes will be considered on a case-by-case basis, and the requestor should contact the chair prior to making the request to justify the additional time.

While at the last meeting the HSSG made considerable forward progress it is not clear that the list of objectives has been finalized.  Furthermore, there are some that are needed to move forward, such as, for example, a target BER.  Once the proposed list of objectives is finalized, it can be reviewed and the decision of recommending more than one PAR can be made.

As discussed, the normal function of the Study Group is to draft a complete PAR and Five Criteria.  While the SG will review and approve its response to the Five Criteria for each PAR recommended, it is important to remember that these responses will also be subject to review and approval by the WG, each and every working group in 802, and the 802 EC.  Therefore, we will need to be prepared to defend each and every response to the 5 Critters, and to that end make sure that we have all of the necessary supporting presentations to backup those responses.  We need to be conscious of the fact that the review process includes individuals who are not part of the SG, and that they may require more convincing regarding this project than those of us participating in the SG

With this said presentations for the January meeting should address:
·                Objectives for the Study Group
·                Broad Market Potential (as part of the 5 criteria)
·                Economic Feasibility (as part of the 5 criteria)
·                Technical Feasibility (as part of the 5 criteria)

I encourage individuals intending to present in January to keep this in mind as they write their requests and presentations.

If you have not made your reservations, please do so promptly.  Meeting notice and details are posted at:  http://www.ieee802.org/3/interims/monterey_1_0107.html .  Details regarding hotel information and reservations may be found at this URL.  The reservation deadline is January 3, 2007.

John