Re: [HSSG] 40G MAC Rate Discussion

Thank you for the clarification, John.

On that point, as someone who started the 40Gb discussion back in
January, I would like to make it clear in no uncertain terms what our
motivations were and still are: in no way do we intend to impede or
slow down the development and/or the adoption of 100Gb Ethernet.

We believe that doing a standard for 100Gb is important but not enough,
for the following reasons:
- The 40Gb speed will enable us to get the most out of our servers
until 100Gb becomes technically and economically viable for server
connectivity. We believe that there is a 5-year window of opportunity
for this market.
- The two speeds should be addressing two distinct markets. This can be
accomplished by defining the PMDs based on reach, with 40Gb defined for
short-reach datacenter connectivity only.
- 40Gb connectivity at the server will require a faster aggregation speed
even in the datacenter. This will increase the market potential for 100Gb.
- Unless the 100Gb effort starts today, the technology will not be ready
when we need it for servers in 2015. I am sure your heard me say this
at the last meeting, and I meant it.
- The development of a 40Gb standard will be highly leveraged: either
from the work that was done in other standards bodies, or from the
work that needs to be done for 100Gb anyway. Therefore, 40Gb should
in no way slow down the 100Gb effort.

What has been puzzling to me in this debate ever since it started is:
how can 40Gb server connectivity in the datacenter hurt those of you who
believe that 100Gb is the right speed for aggregation links in service
provider networks? I am certainly at a point where I understand and
respect the needs of your market. All I am asking in return is the same.

Any comments that will help me understand and address the above concerns
would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Shimon.