[HSSG] Continuation of HSSG for "serial" PARs

Colleagues:

I received the attached request from Mr. D'Ambrosia (HSSG Chair).  He
requests a ruling from the WG Chair.  I will defer on providing a
"ruling", but instead attempt to make my reading/interpretation of the
rules governing this HSSG issue clear.  I defer a ruling, because the
absence of clear rules for this case might produce a different ruling
depending on the specific motion implementing the described strategy.

The attached analysis and opinions should provide reinforcement of
alternate rules interpretations to mine which highlights the risk of
embarking on a controversial procedural course.  The statement of my
interpretation of the rules should provide guidance to participants on
how I might rule on a specific motion in an 802.3 meeting.  The analysis
also include my recommendations (not WG Chair's directives) on how the
HSSG might proceed.

I plan to attend the Ottawa meetings and will make myself available if a
Q&A as John describes would be useful.

Nothing in this message or attached analysis should be construed as
indicating support or opposition for any capability or technology
alternative; but simply serve as an overview of how I read the rules
governing the issue of proposed objectives and how they might be
included in PARs.

For those that don't want to wade through the detail, here is a very
basic summary.  Please read the attached detailed analysis if you want
to winge, argue, contradict, seek elucidation or otherwise engage me in
discussion about my opinions and analysis that led to them.

1.  I believe both LMSC P&P, 7.4, and 802.3 Rules, 4.1, must be
considered as well as the July motion that chartered the HSSG.

2.  Considering these three referenced items only one thing seems very
clear, that the alternative of SG continuation for "serial" PARs wasn't
anticipated (i.e., clearly allowed by rules and motion).  So the TF, WG
and EC must specifically allow s "serial" PAR plan, else the multiple
viable interpretations create uncertainty of Chair's and
Parliamentarian's rulings resulting in differing interpretations at the
EC than from the WG Chair.

3.  The lack of rules clarity also creates fertile ground for an appeal
(something we all hopefully wish to avoid) to such a ruling without
specific clear defensible motions to allow such a plan.  .

4.  It would be my very strong recommendation that HSSG participants
seek necessary approvals that allow a clear course for continued study
rather than looking for a loophole in the rules, or invoke the CFI
process for continued study of higher speed capabilities.

Bob Grow
Chair, IEEE 802.3
bob.grow@ieee.org

 <<Continuation analysis and opinion.pdf>>  <<RE: Request Review>>

Continuation analysis and opinion.pdf

Bob,

Per July 2006, Motion #23:

Move the IEEE 802.3 Working Group requests formation of a "Higher Speed Study Group" to evaluate definition of greater than 10 Gb/s MAC data rate and related PHY capability to IEEE Std 802.3.  The Study Group may recommend one or more PARs.

This motion had been interpreted to mean that it would be permissible for the SG to complete its task of "evaluating definition of greater than 10 Gb/s MAC data rate and related PHY capability to IEEE Std 802.3" by serially issuing PARs, which would have the SG requesting an extension after each meeting where a PAR (or PARs) was considered until the Task had been completed or the 802.3 WG would not approve any further extensions.  At the March Plenary it was brought up that the LMSC P&P could be interpreted that this is prohibited, as Section 7.4 states:  "After the Study Group recommendations have been accepted by the parent body, the Study Group will be disbanded no later than the end of the next Plenary Session."

Given the differing interpretations, I request your ruling regarding the IEEE rules and the SG's ability to request an extension for continuance of the SG after it had brought forward a PAR or PARs simultaneously for consideration at a given IEEE 802.3 WG meeting.

Also, if it is found that the SG may not exist beyond this stated meeting, what other avenues might be considered if it is found that the SG wishes to continue studying a matter for possible recommendation as a PAR?

Given that this decision might influence some SG members' viewpoints on how the group should proceed; I would appreciate a response from you to the HSSG reflector.   Also, if there are alternatives for consideration and you are attending the April Interim, I would like to put aside 15 minutes on the schedule for the SG to be able to ask any further questions of you regarding other alternative courses.

Thank you for your attention to this matter,

John