Re: [HSSG] 40G MAC Rate Discussion

Mikael,

> I see more reason for a 40G optical standard that basically extends
> the OC192 10GE WAN PHY standard to OC768 as this would enable
> ethernet to be carried in current state of the art DWDM systems.

FYI, this standard exists for some time within ITU-T Recommendations.
Refer to http://www.ieee802.org/3/hssg/public/sep06/vissers_01_0906.pdf
for an introduction.
The frame format is shown in slide 8.

The applicable ITU-T Recommendations are listed on slide 16; for an
STM-256/OC-768 interface carrying Ethernet MAC frames those are:
- G.8012 Ethernet UNI and Ethernet NNI
  http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.8012/en
- G.7041 Generic framing procedure (GFP)
  http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.7041/en
- G.707 Network node interface for the synchronous digital hierarchy (SDH)
  http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.959.1/en
- G.959.1 Optical transport network physical layer interfaces
  http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.707/en
- G.693 Optical interfaces for intra-office systems
  http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.693/en.

> This would of course be a moot point if we think that most DWDM
> vendors will have a 100GE DWDM transponder by the time the 100GE
> standard is ready, and a 40GE OC768 compatible standard would take
> the same amount of time to implement as the 100GE variant.

Carrying 40GE within a STM-256/OC-768 signal allows to deploy today's
available 40G DWDM transponders. As such only a the STM-256/OC-768
compatible 40GE interface card within the Ethernet Switches or IP/MPLS
Routers is still required. With all standards available and existing
STM-256/OC-768 framer as well as Ethernet into GFP mapper devices
available, it is jsut the combination into a signle STM-256/OC-768 based
40GE device that is missing. As its design can start today, it could be
available soon, certainly before a 100GE design would be available.

> I do think that it should be taken into account that a 100GE standard
> will be carried over DWDM, and mechanisms should be implemented for
> fast-failure-detection, mostly of the "there is a one-way fiber
> break"-variant

G.709 compliant DWDM systems/networks include such fast-failure-detection
mechanism as well as a means to signal such fault to the connected system;
i.e. the clause 16.6.1/G.709 "generic-AIS" mechanism. The generic-AIS
signal is a signal with a 2047-bit polynomial number 11 (PN-11) repeating
sequence.
http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.709/en
For STM-256/OC-768 based 40GE interfaces these fast-failure-detection and
signalling mechanisms are defined and will be available in designs of 40GE
itnerface ports and are available in associated 40G transponders.

> and the "the BER is high so the link is not good".

The STM-256/OC-768 based 40GE formats include BER detection capabilities
via the B2 and B3 bytes in the frame. It furthermore includes a BCH-3 FEC.

Regards,
Maarten
PS. There is an alternative 40GE interface standardised in ITU-T
recommendations; this is the OTM-0.3 based 40GE interface using the G.709
(OTN OTU3/ODU3, see slide 9) frame instead of the G.707 (SDH/SONET
VC-4-256c/STS-768c, see slide 8) frame. This OTM-0.3 based 40GE includes a
RS(255,239) FEC, BER detection capabilities and fast-failure-detection and
signalling mechanisms.

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@SWM.PP.SE>
04-04-2007 08:51
Please respond to Mikael Abrahamsson