Re: [HSSG] 40G MAC Rate Discussion

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Jason Weil wrote:

> It seems to me the real benefit/driver for a 40G MAC would be in the
> Metro and Long-Haul Ethernet market and not as a host interface. This
> thinking may be slightly myopic, but the real question for me is
> assuming the standard is ratified in 2009 would users be presented with
> two interface options at that time? If this were the case unless
> economics outweighed versatility and capacity I can't see why the 40
> would be a better choice than 100 given both options.

I'd have to agree here. Only reason to do 40GE would be if someone said
they could have it shipping at latest during 2008, and we estimate 100GE
is not going to be until 2010.

40G would have made sense NOW, and not 2009-2010.

Of course, if 100GE for some reason is at risk to be delayed until
2011-2012, we're all in big trouble and need something to fill the gap
until then.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se