Re: [HSSG] 40G MAC Rate Discussion

Pat,

This is a good clarification. Along the same lines, it would be helpful
if the 40GE proponents made a presentation detailing out what their
views are for PHY requirements.

To date, we have had to piece together the 40GE PHY requirements from
various conversations, emails, and presentation snippets.

Here is what I think is being asked for.

SMF

Despite a WDM long haul bullet in Schelto's March presentation, the
assumption is that there is no 40GE SMF PHY requirement.

MMF

>100m 4x10G OM3 MMF parallel optics ribbon fiber

COPPER

This has been mentioned as needed, but the details of what is needed are
a bit of a mystery. Is the copper requirement meant for reach of tens of
meters? We have seen emails suggesting 4x10GBASE-T, which would be
consistent with such reach, but this would be puzzling in view of the
MMF requirement above.

Presumably 40GE MAC will have 10G I/O (in line with Pat's comments,)
which makes sense for ICs for 2008/2009 time frame. Is that mean that
there is a second 4 x XAUI PCS layer that is added between the 10G I/O
PCS and the PHY? Is an inverse 4 x XAUI core planned for the Quad
10GBASE-T PHY that is promised to be available soon, so that the I/O is
at 10G? So now we add another 4W to the 15W or 20W needed for the PHY?

Or is the proposal for copper PHY meant to only cover 5m or shorter
distances? Is it then use a subset of lanes being proposed for the 100GE
copper PHY, for example 4x10G wires, versus 10x10G wires (one of the
copper alternatives,) to piggy back on the 100G effort?

Or is the copper PHY requirement something different?

In addition to assisting in scoping the effort required to write the
standards and do the development, it can enable identifying PMD
alternatives which can be made available even in the absence of a 40G
standard being adopted.

Chris