From: Petar Pepeljugoski [mailto:petarp@US.IBM.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:07 PM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [HSSG] 40G MAC Rate Discussion

Dan,

I would like to ask for clarification regarding the components you have in mind.

Is it the complete solution that you have in mind? If it is the individual components, we need to list the components, too.
This might be important since if there is not favorable ratio for some components, people will simnply not be interested making it.

For example, if the overall solution is 2x, but some of the components are only 1.1x, and others 5x, you will find some very interested people and some very uninterested.
Thanks,

Peter

Petar Pepeljugoski
IBM Research
P.O.Box 218 (mail)
1101 Kitchawan Road, Rte. 134 (shipping)
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

e-mail: petarp@us.ibm.com
phone: (914)-945-3761
fax:        (914)-945-4134

"Dove, Dan" <dan.dove@HP.COM>

04/11/2007 05:22 PM
Please respond to
"Dove, Dan" <dan.dove@HP.COM>

STDS-802-3-HSSG@listserv.ieee.org
cc
Subject
Re: [HSSG] 40G MAC Rate Discussion

Hi All,

I think it would also be good to gather consensus on the following
question;

Q: What ratio of solution cost (versus 10G) would make the investment in
a 40G standard justified?

Ie: 4X the performance for __ X the cost of 10G.

Another question that begs to be answered;

Q: If the IEEE 802 authorizes both a 40G standard and a 100G standard,
would you attend and contribute to;
(_)40G   (_)100G  (_)Both.

Dan