Re: [HSSG] 40G and 100G

I support the approach outlined by Mark for how to make progress at the July meeting; specifically to work the details of completing the 5 Criteria for 100G and 40G.

With respect to 100G, all 5 Criteria have been met and out of the July meeting the HSSG should forward a PAR for 100Gbps Ethernet as currently drafted.

We have again seen a challenge to the 100G Broad Market Potential; using the recent argument that 100G does not have Broad Market Potential without 40G. The arithmetic behind this argument is a mystery. End users have stated that 100G is desperately needed today, when the dominant server-switch interconnect is 1G. When 100G starts deployment, it has further been stated that Nx100G LAG configurations will be immediately required for second level switch-switch interconnect. Data centers are only now looking to transition server-switch interconnect to 10G, with the start of 10G high volume ramp projected for the 2009 time frame. End users have stated that when they transition servers to 10G, they will need 1T Ethernet to support the resulting traffic. On the other hand, 40G is projected to start high volume ramp in the 2012 time frame, so it will be a number of years after 2012 that 40G server ports will approach 10G server ports. So any appreciable impact of 40G on 100G demand (outside of leading edge applications like HPC,) is 7 to 10 years out.

With respect to 40G, a separate set of 5 Criteria need to be drafted that meet the requirements of a distinct project. Broad Market Potential, Technical Feasibility and Compatibility have clearly been met. The two criteria that need further work are Distinct Identity and Economic Feasibility. There is no question about 40G having a Distinct Identity; it is simply an issue of crafting the wording to differentiate 40G from 10G, and to differentiate 40G from 100G. The latter is straightforward as the two address different applications (at least initially.)

The 40G Criteria that continues to have genuine disagreement is Economic Feasibility. I am personally persuaded that 40G has meet this criteria, versus for example 4x10G LAG alternative, thanks to Shimon’s, Howard’s and Schelto’s excellent presentations at the May meeting. There are others that remain unconvinced as can be seen from Dan’s recent email. I suggest that the concern of these HSSG participants be taken as genuine (not as a HSSG 40G derailing tactic,) and that through a combination of additional supporting material and good crafting of the wording we convince those that have a concern to support 40G Economic Feasibility. I am confident that they will continue to have an open mind to additional supporting material.

40G advocates should see this as an opportunity, not as a problem. A lot of those who are skeptics are end users, and this gives the future 40G suppliers a forum to start educating their future customers why 40G will offer them benefits over 10G. If this argument can not be made persuasively, there should be genuine concern at server and switch companies (not just at the HSSG) about the viability of these products in the market.

Given the few items that remain to be done, we should be able be able to forward a distinct PAR for 40Gbps Ethernet out of the July meeting.

Chris