[HSSG] July Plenary - Call For Presentations

Dear HSSG Members,

The next meeting of the HSSG will be during the IEEE 802 Plenary (week of July 15 – 20, 2007).  Meeting details may be found at: http://ieee802.facetoface-events.com/sessions/44/index.php.  You are strongly encouraged to make your reservations as soon as possible.  Also please note that Web pre-registration for the meeting closes at 6pm PDT, Friday, June 29, 2007.

As announced previously, The HSSG will be having an interim meeting adjacent to and co-located with the IEEE 802 plenary meeting in July.  We will be getting together Monday, July 16 from 9 to 10:30am prior to the July IEEE 802 opening plenary.  The HSSG will then be meeting all day Tuesday, all day Wednesday, and Thursday morning (July 17 - 19).  The opening 802.3 working group (WG) meeting will begin at 1:00 pm on Monday, July 16, and the closing 802.3 WG meeting will be 1:00 pm on Thursday, July 19.

Given the discussed intent that, pending the approval of project documentation by the HSSG, we will seek approval for the HSSG recommendations by the 802.3 WG, all, especially those individuals who are 802.3 voters, should plan on staying Thursday night at the 802.3 Closing Plenary until all business regarding the HSSG is completed.

We need to resolve the status of the 40G MAC rate proposal as an objective.  If a 40G MAC rate objective is added, we then need to decide whether it would be added to PAR A or a new PAR.  Project documentation for the appropriate PAR(s) then needs to be completed and approved.  Once we have done this, we will need a motion from the SG to forward the PAR(s), 5 Criteria, and objectives to 802.3WG for consideration at the July Plenary.  This would then allow the SG recommendations to be submitted to the 802 EC in July for consideration at the November meeting, which would help strengthen the HSSG’s requests for extensions at the July and November meetings.

Our main objectives for this meeting are:

§         Finalize objectives

§         Finalize and approve PAR / 5 Criteria documentation by SG

Therefore, presentations should address these areas.

Anyone wishing to present, please submit your request per the guidelines that may be found at the Procedure for Presenters web page: http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/hssg/public/presentproc.html.

Presentations should be kept to 20 minutes in duration, excluding time for questions and answers.  Requests for presentation time greater than 20 minutes will be considered on a case-by-case basis, and the requestor should contact the chair prior to making the request to justify the additional time.

Presentation requests and materials are due to me by Tuesday, July 10.  Presentations should be mailed to me at jdambrosia@ieee.org.   To assist in meeting planning earlier requests and / or submissions are appreciated.  As a reminder, please make sure that all requests for presentations or submissions of presentation material have no restrictive notices at the bottom of the email.  All such emails will be refused.

I look forward to seeing everyone in San Francisco

Thank you,

John D’Ambrosia

Chair, IEEE 802.3 Higher Speed Study Group

Tel           717.460.8535

Email       jdambrosia@ieee.org