[802.3BA] Reach Objective for MMF

Hi

On this reflector we have had many discussion on the SMF reach
objective.  But I want to bring
up your attention to the current MMF reach objective which is only 100 m.

High density data centers switches will be based on the QSFP (XFP width)
or the CSFP (~26 mm),
I do not see a viable serial 40G or 4x25G WDM solution in these form
factor in near future.
The current proposed 4x25G WDM will be housed in a double wide Xenpak
(~81 mm).

Currently for reach larger than 100 m you must switch to 100 Gig 4x25G
WDM!  Unless you are
designing your switch for reduce capacity double wide Xenpak will not
plug in to a QSFP or CSFP!
 From pure density perspective you will be doing worse than dual stacked
SFP+.
According to Allan Flatman study page 7
http://www.ieee802.org/3/10GMMFSG/public/mar04/flatman_1_0304.pdf
300 m covers the building backbone and for larger data center more than
100 m may be needed.

In Atlanta I showed how even with sub 10G laser "300 m link on OM3 fiber
with linear receiver has 1 dBo less penalty than 100 m link OM3 with
limiting receiver"
 http://www.ieee802.org/3/hssg/public/nov07/ghiasi_01_1107.pdf

I would like to explore the possibility of increasing the reach
objective on OM3 fiber from 100 m to
220 m or 300 m.  I do understand the draw back of ribbon cable, but here
we have situation where
the 4x25G solution just doesn't fit in to a QSFP/CSFP.  Maybe after a
season on biggest looser it might fit :-)

Happy Holiday,

Ali

begin:vcard
fn:Ali Ghiasi
n:Ghiasi;Ali
org:Broadcom;HSIP
adr;dom:;;3151 Zanker Road;San Jose;CA;95014
email;internet:aghiasi@broadcom.com
title:Chief Architect
tel;work:(408)922-7423
tel;cell:(949)290-8103