Re: [802.3BA] 40G/100G SMF distinct identity [WAS: RE: [802.3BA] 5 Criteria mod to support 40 G on SMF]

Agree that cost plays a big role. However, if 2x increments keep the cost same (or lower)---as you mentioned---then why is 8GFC more expansive than 1G (rule of transitive; 2G<=1G, 4G<=2G, 8G<=4G)?

I think Ethernet networks span larger topologies than FC (which is constrained and limited to and by computing/storage topologies). One can't compare the two directly.

I think 10GE didn't take off in the HBA not because of cost of Ethernet, but the cost of filling up the 10GE port and perhaps, not being able to fill that pipe. Since that did not happen the volime did not happen and when that did not happen cost did not come down as fast.

Just my opinion, I don't think 10GE was envisioned to be in laptop machines and not sure if there was 2G Ethernet even designed to be compatible with 10/100 how would have added any value to these machines ---which are ading to the volume---with 1GE link?

Also, if I recall correctly 1G FC was very expansive until 1G Ethernet took off.

My $0.0.

Thanks,
Sanjeev