Re: [802.3BA] Discussion on 40G for => 10 km SMF

Atsushi,

First, let me say that the email below is intended to make sure that this group does not stray in a direction that would ultimately lead to the violation of IEEE-SA Antitrust and Competition Policy.  As chair, I am remaining neutral on the TF’s technical decisions.

Regardless of the decision that this body makes, the market may demand that both solutions are developed anyway.

Please note in the following document from the IEEE, Promoting Competition and Innovation:

What You Need to Know about the IEEE Standards Association’s Antitrust and Competition Policy,” which may be found at http://standards.ieee.org/resources/antitrust-guidelines.pdf.   Please note the following statement:

For example, selecting one technology for inclusion in a standard is lawful, but an agreement to prohibit standards

participants (or implementers) from implementing a competing standard or rival technology would be unlawful – although as a practical matter, a successful standard may lawfully achieve this result through the workings of the market.”

As I have phrased it to the Task Force, the Task Force makes decisions about what it is going to do, it does not make decisions about what it is not going to do.

Regardless of the decision that this Task Force makes, it is very easy to envision both implementations getting developed in the industry.  Given the need stated by CWDM supporters for a near term solution, it is easy to envision an industry effort happening if the TF goes serial.  It is just as easy to envision a new CFI happening for a serial solution if the TF chooses to go CWDM.

Also, as a point of clarification, as I am currently looking at the presentation for another discussion, you may wish to refer to Flatman_01_0108 (http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ba/public/jan08/flatman_01_0108.pdf), which is a survey of data centers that Alan Flatman did that shows 40G being deployed in access-to-distribution links in 2010.

Regards,

John