Re: [802.3BA] Discussion on 40G for => 10 km SMF

802.3ba Task Force members,

Allessandro's & Steve Trowbridge's emails today summarize very well the
views and considerations which I have also gone through the past 75 days or
so since the May Munich meeting.  I did not enter the start of this process
with a strong disposition either way, other than having a fairly detailed
personal history with serial 40G Transponders from my years at Big Bear.

After receiving the data and material from the various CWDM & serial
proponents after the May meeting and weighing this not only against the
needs of my current customers (who tend to be more transport/OTN-oriented
service providers / carriers than data center users), as well as positioning
it against the stated BMP needs that drove the creation of this new PHY, it
ended up being a very clear decision for the best path forward.  My support
of http://www.ieee802.org/3/ba/public/jul08/gavrilovic_01_0708.pdf for the
4xCWDM PHY as presented in the July meeting was the result of this
deliberate & careful consideration (although anyone that knows me and
remembers the January & March '08 meetings, understands that I nearly wanted
to saddle this PHY with a serial solution, as I have never been a big
advocate of its inclusion in the standard).  Clearer heads prevailed...

In closing, several service provider and carrier customers have voiced their
concerns to me privately the past week regarding the potential of this issue
to delay the progress of the overall 803.3ba efforts, and I ask that they
not only raise this concern to the list, but also put forward their views on
the 40G SMF PHY technology selection.  I am confident that this input will
be pivotal to resolving the selection and allowing the task force to move
forward.

Regards,

John