From: Jeff Meyer [mailto:jmeyer@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2008 1:34 PM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3BA] Discussion on 40G for => 10 km SMF

Chris has a excellent point about

    _Other Aspects_

    It is no longer possible to simply increase Baud to match data rate,
    because of fundamental electrical and optical propagation limits.
    This was recognized during the 100G SMF PMD discussion, with Serial
    never a viable alternative for the 10km or 40km reach. In the
    future, all data rates beyond 100G will use some form of multi-lane
    technology. 40G is the inflection point where cost and difficulty of
    Serial rises dramatically compared to multi-lane alternatives.
    Optical communication has reached the point that all other forms of
    communication (wired or wireless) reached many years ago, where
    simple modulation format serial solutions are not practical.

The biggest downside of 40G serial, seems to be the physics problem of
PMD. However there are an increasing number of long haul equipment
providers who have solved this problem. There have been thousands of 40G
serial long haul installations deployed to date.

As far as the Cost, Power, Size & Reliability I think this favors
serial. The cost saving of CWDM seems largely driven by the large number
of vendors providing 10G IC's and components. But let us ponder, if the
10GE fathers chose 4x 2.5G WDM to reduce risk in the late 1990's would
we be benefiting from the low costs and the large number of vendors? All
we need is multiple vendors of 40G serial components and the prices will
plummet. Lets face it the cost of SiGe is not that much higher than CMOS
unless you get to volumes greater than 100,000 parts. By then, CMOS
processes will catch up to SiGe in FT. I am a microwave guy and the 40G
packaging is not difficult these days ( there are many vendors that can
do LTCC fine line packages and they are "Open Tooled" so you can get a
reference design for the 40G electrical packages for no NRE ). If we
compare microwave packaging to flip chip mounting of lasers and optics,
I would imagine optics costs more, but I have no "hard data" to support
this.

The biggest reason why I favor serial over CWDM is the leadership for
the future. Lets take the risk like the 10G serial innovators did in the
late 90's. Once we get several manufacturers of 40G parts this prices
will plummet.

Schedule Risk. Albeit the risk for serial is higher but how much?

Let's keep technology moving forward for the future generations.

Jeff Meyer