Re: [802.3BA] Discussion on 40G for => 10 km SMF

Hi Atsushi,

> I am afraid that to chose 40GbE CWDM will ignore data center applications that is cost sensitive and may require less than 4x10G cost.
or
>"We have to resolve this to achieve <2x10G cost."

it is not clear how you derive the conclusion that 2X is needed for the data center space. Is it a gut feeling or is there a rational explanation?
At least below I attempted to articulate briefly why 4X if very reasonable on the optics (which BTW is just a part of the total system cost) to ensure market success for 40G SMF and I would like to understand if you have any specific disagreement:

"I think ~4X the cost of 10G with *just* the benefit of consolidating 4 metro fibers will work quite well.
On top of it add the operational advantage of simplifying the network by reducing the dependency on LAG by a factor of 4 and one could argue that 4X on SMF is perfectly fine."

Last I am now getting confused with this latest 2X 10G cost on top of all the cost projections presented on 40G serial:

a) http://www.ieee802.org/3/ba/public/mar08/traverso_04_0308.pdf :
2012 Serial still more than 1X CWDM

b) http://www.ieee802.org/3/ba/public/may08/jewell_02_0508.pdf:
2011 Serial is 1X CWDM

c) http://www.ieee802.org/3/ba/public/jul08/traverso_02_0708.pdf
2010 Serial is 0.78X CWDM

d) Now in 07/08 the claim is 2X 10GBASE-L which is anywhere between 0.5X and 0.3X CWDM (even lower than traverso_02_0708 in 2012)

Why the story keeps changing on serial?

Thanks,
Alessandro