From: Chris Cole [mailto:chris.cole@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 01 August 2008 06:24
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3BA] Discussion on 40G for ="" 10 km SMF

Takai-san's 7/31/08 email discusses a number of points. Our arguments concerning his first two points (Cost and Time to Market) are unchanged from cole_04_0708, so are not repeated here. The remaining points are addressed below.

Power

The long term power consumption of 40GE CWDM and 40GE Serial is similar. Four 10G un-cooled DFBs and associated Laser Drivers use about the same power as one cooled 40G EML and associated Modulator Driver. The remaining ICs are also about the same if advanced process nodes and new designs are assumed. As was pointed out by Joel Goergen during the Q&A session in Denver, a 40GE Serial block diagram has comparable circuitry to 40GE CWDM block diagram when drawn fairly to permit apples to apples comparison.

There is no basis for a claim at this late stage in the debate that Serial has a power advantage over CWDM, and that CWDM "power reduction plans are invisible." In jewell_03_0508, p.9 and again in traverso_02_0708 p. 12, ratios of power between an aggressive Serial implementation and CWDM implementation are 0.96 and 0.97, i.e. clear statements in pro-serial presentations that there is no advantage.

Size

For future generation products, CWDM has an advantage over Serial for fitting into a smaller form factor like QSFP because similar to a 10GE-LR SFP+, the re-timing CDRs can be moved outside of the module. Serial always has to have the 4:1 SerDes function in the module. Even with aggressive projections about future component size and power, Serial has a packaging and thermal management design challenge to fit into QSFP.

What is required to fit 40GE CWDM into QSFP is optics integration. This type of technology has been described in numerous presentations to the HSSG and involves flip-chipping lasers onto a PLC with an integrated AWG Mux. The CWDM grid prevents use of a monolithic DFB array and requires flip-chipping discrete DFBs, but that is a yield and cost issue not a feasibility or size issue. The time line for such an advanced development program is lengthy, but is similar to realistic PCB RF-interconnect 40GE Serial development schedules. The investment required to bring this advanced technology to market is high, again similar to one required for low cost 40GE Serial.

In contrast, no advanced technology development is required to quickly bring to market first generation low cost CWDM products based on discrete optics packaged in a larger form factor.

Reliability

There is no current 1310nm 10G DFB failure data that justifies bringing up concerns about the reliability of a 4x10G CWDM PMD. 10G 1310nm PMDs ship in volume today with very high reliability. If there is actual field failure data behind this concern, it would add credibility to have it presented.

Other Aspects

It is no longer possible to simply increase Baud to match data rate, because of fundamental electrical and optical propagation limits. This was recognized during the 100G SMF PMD discussion, with Serial never a viable alternative for the 10km or 40km reach. In the future, all data rates beyond 100G will use some form of multi-lane technology. 40G is the inflection point where cost and difficulty of Serial rises dramatically compared to multi-lane alternatives. Optical communication has reached the point that all other forms of communication (wired or wireless) reached many years ago, where simple modulation format serial solutions are not practical.

Chris