From: Mikael Abrahamsson [mailto:swmike@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 12:03 PM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3BA] Discussion on 40G for => 10 km SMF

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Jesse Simsarian wrote:

> 1. Operationally, 4 x 10G and 40G serial are equivalent.  If anyone is
> voting for serial because of operational concerns, please bring this
> out on the reflector.

I have two questions (trying to determine operational impact for me as an
end-user):

In a 4x10G module, if one laser or receiver breaks, what happens then?
Will the port shut down the same way it would with a 40G serial?

Also, future adhoc standard for 40G serial CWDM optics (ie someone developing 40G serial CWDM-band colored optics the same way that has happened on 1G and 10GE) speaks in favour of serial instead of 4x10G, or am I mistaken?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx