Re: [802.3BA] Discussion on 40G for => 10 km SMF

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Trowbridge, Stephen J (Steve) wrote:

The serial technology being proposed does not extend to colored interfaces in the same way we saw at 1G and 10G. In the first place, it is 1310nm and for DWDM you would need 1550nm. At 1550nm, you couldn't

What about the ~1300 nm CWDM bands then? I realise the external CWDM mux will impair a lot on the optical budget, but let's say someone in 2013 comes up with a cost effective solution to increase the link budget to 12-15dB without increasing the dispersion tolerances, this would still enable to have two ~3dB/each CWDM muxes to run a CWDM system with multiple 40GE serial waves point to point.

Not having the future possibility to have colored 40GE serial over single mode will limit the future lifespan of 40GE in the metro space.

This might be ok, but it should be realised that this is the case.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx