Re: [802.3BA] Discussion on 40G for => 10 km SMF

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Trowbridge, Stephen J (Steve) wrote:

The colored interfaces you are describing are not even in the standard, but they appear in the market.

Quite, and with the 4x10GE CWDM approach, these won't appear anytime soon as (I would guess) it's easier to make a colored version of a serial already existing interface, than to first develop a 40G serial and then a colored version of that.

interface in the future, no doubt it will be developed. All people are
saying is that based on cost and time to market, 40G serial is not the
right solution to develop now for the first version of the standard. We
don't normally decide what direction to follow for a 2010 product based
on what we speculate someone might invent in 2013.

Well, it's always important to remember the con:s of ones decision, and I think colored version of existing standard available early is a door being shut if 4x10G CWDM is chosen.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx