From: Chris Cole [mailto:chris.cole@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:16 PM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3BA] Discussion on 40G for ="" 10 km SMF

Mori-san,

Let me address the size questions first.

Double XENPAK size is one alternative for a quick development program for 40GE-CWDM PMD using existing components, although other alternatives are possible.

Let's assume that 2x XENPAK size is about 120mm x 72mm. This size needs to accommodate the functionality of 4 XFPs and a Mux/DeMux.

XFP size is 70mm x 18mm, so four XFPs use 2/3 of the available area.
This leaves 50mm x 72mm for the Mux/DeMux. One example of a TFF Mux/DeMux was presented in paatzsh_01_0708 with size given on page 3 as 13mm x 13mm, which leaves plenty of room for fiber routing, etc.

So your concern about having to push components into the module was unfounded.

By comparison, 40G Serial GPPO based telecom modules are now moving to 4.5" x 3.5" size (about 114mm x 90mm,) i.e. very comparable in size to the above.

With respect to cost, I do not understand your specific question about "cost down technology." What you kindly clarify what you would like me to comment on?

However, more generally I am confused as to what you are trying to accomplish with your 40GE-CWDM cost questions. There is agreement, as confirmed by your emails that the cost using existing technology is between 4x and 8x 10GE LR. Further, the initial cost in 2010 is projected as about 6x 2010 10GE LR, as in traverso_02_0708 and in several emails from Serial proponents, for example in Takai-san's

7/31/08 email. With incremental cost reduction investment this cost may asymptotically approach 4x of 10GE LR cost decreasing over time (NOT 4x of 10GE LR in a specific year like 2010.)

So what exactly is the motivation for debating a point that has agreement?

Chris