Re: [802.3BA] 802.3ba XR ad hoc next step concern

Steve, All,

I look at the sedan differently .... the sedan is not a five passenger vehicle.  It is really a four passenger vehicle that, if forced, could handle five passengers for a real short trip.  Imagine Steve as "The Middle Passenger"!  I doubt Steve could fold up ... on purpose ... to fit, what, 6'-3", of him in there??

!00m will be fine ... let the market dictate the rest.

take care
-joel

Swanson, Steven E wrote:
Geoff,

You know me - I like analogies; I seem to remember using airplanes as an example during the development of 10GbE, something like comparing 747s to regional jets. I also like automobiles so let give you my take on where we are at as it relates to 802.3ba.

I agree that the bulk of automobile product line only has 5 passenger capacity. However, how many cars will you see this morning on the way to work will have five people in them? Very few - most will have one and some will have two. Using the 802.3ba philosophy, we would standardize a two-seater since that is what the majority of the market needs. We would ignore the typical sedan which gives broader market coverage at maybe, just maybe a small premium. I view the XR variant as the typical sedan.

We have an objective for Scooters - 10m of copper - just get me from here to there at the lowest cost
We have an objective for a Smart car - 100m of MMF - good enough for most commuters
We have an objective for a Greyhound bus - 10km of SMF
We have an objective for a turbo-charged Greyhound bus (or a John Madden luxury liner or a 747) - 40km of SMF)

But we have ignored the family sedan that provides broader coverage at a reasonable cost. Our argument is that it is not large enough or doesn't warrant the extra cost. I see 10-20% of a lot of ports as much, much bigger than 100% of hardly any ports (albeit expensive ones). I don't hear anyone talking about how small the 40km SMF market is.

I still don't get it.

Best regards,

Steve