Re: [802.3BA] 802.3ba XR ad hoc next step concern

Let me re-state one word of that message.

From: Dove, Daniel
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:00 PM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3BA] 802.3ba XR ad hoc next step concern

Hi Steve,

Yes that helped a lot. I hope the others on the list are not irritated by my request for repetition of the data.

Given the data, it truly is a challenging issue. I see a 20% premium for a 17% increase in coverage.

This means the confidence in the numbers is exceptionally important and assuming they are accurate, a judgement call by the committee on whether or not a 17% increase in port coverage justifies the 20% increase in cost.

This is important because if you increase the  *COST*  of a solution by 20%, you may decrease the number of customers who are willing to buy it by more than 20%. Thus, in the overall mix, it might turn out to satisfy less customers overall.

Its a pretty challenging judgement call IMHO.

Thanks for providing the data.

Dan