Re: [802.3BA] 802.3ba XR ad hoc next step concern

Ryan;

In compliment to Ali’s input, I feel there is assumption that QSFP/CFP modules will try to share most IC parts except optics. That’s why to question the integration of CDR into FP/DFB DML driver, similar to VCSEL option.

Additional question is that, to integrate CDR into modules such as QSFP or CFP, the CDR has to be refclkless, then if we go into such details, such implementation will limit to only very few vendors.

I donot argue the feasibility of integrating CDR function into such small form factors theoretically, especially from performance wise in term of  small sized XFP. The issue is no matter how we try to budget the power/size close to realistic, the combined increase is still quite sizable after magnified by 4x or 10x.

Also the 5% cost adder looks pretty aggressively to me when referring to cost-effective QSFP/CFP, thus possibly make the option beyond practical.

Frank