From: Brad Booth [mailto:bbooth@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:05 PM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3BA] 10GBASE-CX4 parallel detect in 802.3ba

One clarification here that is causing concern.  While certain aspects of this draft may have been reviewed by the task force for quite some time, in my humble opinion, it is inappropriate to reject a comment because it “has been in the draft for a long time.”  For many in the working group, this is their first opportunity to review the draft standard, and while their views and opinions may not be the same as those in the task force, rejecting their comment because it’s been in the draft for 6 months is not the message to be sent.

That being said, some response to the points below (and thanks to John for the clarification on Style-1 and Style-2).  I did not state that 10GBASE-CX4 and 40GBASE-CR4 were not compatible at the MDI, only that they use different connectors.  John’s clarification that Style-2 is the same connector as that use in CX4 now causes me greater concern.  I was under the impression that after the connector wars in 802.3z days there was the unwritten rule that only one style of connector per port/medium type.

If the intention of the task force is to provide backwards compatibility between 40GBASE-CR4 and 10GBASE-CX4, then the Style-2 connector should be the only one required for 40GBASE-CR4 in the draft standard.  This would support the reasoning behind having the indication of 10GBASE-CX4 parallel detect.

If the task force wants to use the Style-1 connector because it has preferred properties compared to the Style-2 connector, then which connector will be used by equipment vendors for 40GBASE-CR4?  If the goal of all the equipment providers is to use Style-1 and enable lower speeds via 10G over a single lane (10GBASE-CR?), then the Style-2 connector and its backwards compatibility are not required.

Thanks,

Brad