Re: [HSSG] Topics for Consideration

John, et al.,

>During our first meeting, I anticipate spending a lot of time focusing on objectives.  At the >closing plenary I highlighted two issues / objectives that the SG would have to consider:

Tradition of 10x leap in speed

I think the speed increase has to be 10x.  The standards development process will take at least 3.5 to 4 years to complete.  Anything less than 100G will force people who are currently aggregating 10G links to continue to use aggregation, only using fewer higher-speed, and more expensive links.   End users prefer using a single link over aggregating physical-layer links into a logical link because of the complications that come with aggregation.  The data in the CFI presentation was just a sample of cases in which network operators we're aggregating 10G links to accommodate the demand on their networks.  There will be many more by 2011 (when I expect there would be 'real' products on the market).

>    Multiple Reach Targets

>  It was also presented that the focus of this effort wasn’t for a desktop application, and >that  the cost model needs to be considered.

I believe we need to adjust the cost model in such a way that it is aligned with the ecosystem.  It is unreasonable, in my opinion, to expect a 10x/3x model to apply to systems designed for wide-area/metro-area networks.  I also think it's short-sighted to ignore the rest of the ecosystem and develop Ethernet only in the part of the ecosystem where the original cost model applies.

Regards,

Mike
--
Michael J. Bennett