Re: [HSSG] BER Objective

Marcus

At 12:19 PM 8/29/2006 , Marcus Duelk wrote:

2) For your cost argument, for component vendors there are sometimes
test requirements that you specify (for example) you do the quick & dirty
test with every component, and you do the extended test (like the real BER
measurement) with every 1,000th component or so. It would be impractical
to make a BER 1E-15 test with every transceiver/transponder, that is unrealistic.

Marcus

While we have specified BER rates in the past
We have never specified the test plan or sampling rate than a vendor has to use to demonstrate conformance.

Thus I would agree with your statement:
It would be impractical to make a BER 1E-15 test with every transceiver/transponder, that is unrealistic.

but there is no reason to think that our standard would call out a conformance statement that required a BER 1E-15 test with every transceiver/transponder.

Geoff Thompson