Re: [802.3_MAINT] Reminder: Maintenance Adhoc telecon tomorrow

Jeff,

Thank you for scheduling the call for the slides.

I believe the summary slides are missing one fundamental point brought up by Shimon: How a function defined in Pascal interacts with state diagrams? If you look at Pascal conventions and state diagram conventions, they do conflict.

State diagram conventions (Subcl. 21.5.1) say: "The actions inside a state block execute instantaneously."

The Pascal conventions (Subcl. 4.2.8) for TransmitFrame function say: "The TransmitFrame operation is synchronous. Its duration is the entire attempt to transmit the frame; when the operation completes, transmission has either succeeded or failed, as indicated by the TransmitStatus status code."

When this function is called in a state diagram, is it an instantaneous event as 21.5.1 says it should be, or is it blocked as 4.2.8 says it should do?

This point should be discussed first, before we look at how MAC Clients generate MA_DATA.requests, since every client's behavior is affected by this decision.

Please, feel free to include the attached few slides into your summary presentation.

Thank you,
Glen