[802.3_MAINT] 802.3 revision: intention to comment on Clause 52

Title: 802.3 revision: intention to comment on Clause 52

Dear all

In advance of the 802.3 revision document planned for release for comment in March, Id like to let you know that I plan to comment on it, with a proposal to add to Clause 52 an alternative optical transmitter eye-mask test, which leverages the statistical eye mask measurement techniques developed for 802.3aq and 802.3ba.

The proposal will be in the form of an annex associated with Clause 52 (assuming this is OK with the editors) since this seems to be the easiest way to add an alternative test with minimal changes to the original document.

The motivation is to offer a more accurate and repeatable optical transmitter eye-mask test which can be a replacement for the 0-hit eye mask test used on legacy 10GBASE-R, which provides the same, or higher, level of confidence of test results, and which will potentially lower test time and test cost.  10G products continue to ramp up in volume, and test time is a significant bottleneck for low cost, high volume production.

If you wish to be involved in early drafting of the comment and more importantly drafting the text of the alternative eye-mask test, please contact me by e-mail.

best wishes

jonathan

Jonathan King

Finisar Corp