Re: [802.3_MAINT] Follow up on proposed Comment to add distance specification for 10GBASE-S over OM4 media

Hi Steve,

I think Brad put it exactly the way I would have (more eloquently of course).

Dan

From: Brad Booth [mailto:bjbooth@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:28 AM
To: STDS-802-3-MAINT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_MAINT] Follow up on proposed Comment to add distance specification for 10GBASE-S over OM4 media

Steve,

The scenario you listed is not an apples-to-apples comparison, but rather an apples-to-oranges comparison.

I'm sure I don't need to remind you that the compliance point in an Ethernet network is at the medium dependent interface (MDI).

A customer that purchases a switch or server that has a port type 10GBASE-SR or 10GBASE-ER assumes that the device is compliant with the specifications at the MDI. In the case of the ER channel, if the channel is compliant with the specification - whether it is 30 km or an engineered 40 km link - then the system will be interoperable.

As for your concern, if the 500 m OM4 link was compliant to the channel specifications at the MDI, then there would be no issue. From what has been presented, the specification at the MDI looking into the PHY and into the channel needs to be changed to permit a 500 m OM4 link. This is radically different than what 10GBASE-ER requires, hence the inability to do an apples-to-apples comparison.

To try to require a tighter specification at the MDI while still calling the port type 10GBASE-SR is misleading. As an industry, we would be unable to guarantee interoperability to an end user that has purchase 10GBASE-SR optics for their devices and expect them to operate over 500 m of OM4, because the only requirement for 10GBASE-SR is to be "minimally" compliant with the specification at the MDI. Therefore, a new port type is required for your proposal.

To create an apple-to-apple comparison, don't touch the spectral width of the 10GBASE-S PMD. If you can "engineer" the 500 m OM4 channel to have the same performance specifications as a 400 m OM4 channel, then you would be creating a system similar to what 10GBASE-ER does.

This is just my take on it.

Cheers,

Brad