Re: [8023-POEP] Cabling and wire current capacities

Title:
Hi,

yes, what steve robbins says has to be taken in on a more concrete level.

The IEEE as a standard talks about mostly protocol implementation or phy design but the protection aspect is totally not present in it which is vital in this aspect. esp when the power / port is huge, then the appropriate UPS protection and wiring has to be vital.

PoE is more on the analog electronics aspect rather than a standard where in a protocol is to be tested for interoperability. When the power is going to be increased, then we need to take in the cabling, safety standards and mix them with the existing af standard to provide a completely new spec which covers the whole aspect of implementing PoE. IEEE will be a part of this but that can be for one aspect of pushing this concept.

Thats the major worrying aspect in this case and also for the currently standardised PoE. being in low wattage, its not of huge risk, but if we are going to take a bundle for the EFm application, then we need to think out.

Thanks and Regards
Mukundan

Steve Robbins wrote:
Guys,

This is just a suggestion, but instead of consulting NASA specs, I would ask UL (Underwriters Lab) or some other group whose opinion will count when it comes to fire safety.  (I spent many years working on the electric power system for the international space station, and don't have a lot of trust in specs written by those "rocket scientists" at NASA.)

Here's what makes me a bit nervous about the ampacity discussions I've been reading in these emails:  One of the great things about PoE is that it's the first international power standard, but one of the scary things is that it's the first power standard where most hook-ups will be done by some Joe Blow IT guy instead of a licensed electrician.  There will be people using cables that are not in the best of condition, hanging them over sharp metal edges, hanging them near heat sources, tying them into large bundles, doing bad crimp jobs, hooking them into patch panels with loose screws, etc.  There will be plenty of instances where something is getting a lot hotter than you expect.  All it might take is a few small fires scattered around the planet for big insurance companies to start putting clauses in their policies for corporate customers prohibiting the use of PoE in office buildings.  That would be the end of this technology.

I'm sure that SAE or MIL standards will be useful as guidelines.  But when it comes to safefy in electronics, people look for the UL or CE marks on products, not NASA, SAE or even the IEEE.  I don't know if UL or CE have specs for wire ampacity, but I'd feel better if I knew they were part of the discussion.

Anyway, that's my two cents.  Sorry if it seems alarmist.  I just think we should be very conservative about ampacity.  More conservative than organizations who might have effective veto power, such as big insurance companies.

Steve Robbins