Re: [8023-POEP] 2P v 4P and safety [Unscannable attachment] [Unscannable attachment]

Title:
Hi Yair and all,

I still dont understand why it would be so detremental to include all the options you listed. In my mind a PSE may chose to do all 3 or it could just simply do a subset of the options that you listed.

I could see an incremental burden on the PD having to support all modes (if it can operate in 2P HP and 4P HP) but Im not clear yet that this would be a big deal. In my mind, unless these costs are prohibative, I would much rather see more options that allow us to address a wider set/market  (looking at cost/power capacity points as well as new infrasturcutre vs. legacy infrastructre etc.).

wael

Yair Darshan wrote:

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I understand that it is no law issue. When I use "legal" I meant conformance to the relevant standards.

According to your last conclusion, I understand that splitting 4 pair cable to 2 outlets (each outlet gets 2 pairs) is valid scenario which PoEp has to address too.

Now we will have the following PD options:

High Power 4P PD

Or two High Power 2P PD's

Or two IEEE802.3af PDs

Do we really want detect and power all options or we wish to detect and power only 4P or 2P high power or single IEEE802.3af PD and only prevent damage to two IEEE802.3af PDs connected to the same cable and leave the decision if to power it or not to the system (implementation specific etc?).

Yair