From: owner-stds-802-3-poep@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-poep@xxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Raul Lozano
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 9:23 PM
To: STDS-802-3-POEP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [8023-POEP] PoEP

FYI-

It's Cable Discharge Event (CDE). Several documents explaining this phenomenon are at:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ad_hoc/copperdis/public/index.html

Normally the PHY vendors fix this issues in their chip, if not, then there are other approaches to mitigate the impact from CDE on the PHY and/or power controller in the case of a POE port.

Regards,
Raul Lozano

Steve Robbins <srobbins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jo and Mike,

In regard to the transient that happens on disconnect, I have experience with that.

Jo is correct; not all pins on the RJ45 will disconnect simultaneously.  Therefore, for a short time period the transformers will be severely imbalanced on the PSE side, resulting in a voltage transient on the PHY side.  I've seen these glitches go as high as 60V for a few nanoseconds.  We've actually seen at least one PHY chip that is instantly destroyed by this.  Just one or two insertion/extraction cycles kills it every time.  I killed several of these chips when I investigated this problem last year.

But the problem only seems to occur with one particular PHY chip from one particular manufacturer, who confirmed that they didn't have any ESD clamps on the high-speed signals in that chip.  This was one of the first Gig PHY chips on the market, so I guess some bugs are understandable.  FYI, I also found that I could add small external diodes that protected this device with minor degradation of the eye pattern due to parasitic capacitance.

All the other PHY chips we've tested at Ixia have survived 100 insertion/extraction cycles in a "worst case" circuit I built without any apparent damage.  But we haven't done an extensive study of all the PHY chips that are one the market; we've only tested the ones we use in our products.

Obviously, with the higher current levels proposed for PoE Plus, there will be significantly more energy in these glitches, but normal ESD protection diodes should still be able to handle them easily.  Perhaps there should be a new annex added to the standard that explains this phenomenon, just to be safe.

Steve Robbins