From: owner-stds-802-3-poep@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-poep@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Derek Koonce
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:45 PM
To: STDS-802-3-POEP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [8023-POEP] Solved another problem with DS

Steve,
1. I like your slide 5. With the switch in the midspan, the midspan can actually enable the endspan if the midspan has run out of power budget. Can the resistor be higher such that it interferes with the "signature" detection phase and thus the endspan would never really win because the signature is out of spec? The midspan can detect faster and avoid the delay in order to interfere with the detection for the endspan. Once PD is powered, the midspan could release the switch and conserve power on the endspan's behalf.

2. Slide 8. I thought the objective 7 was not to draw JUST enough to light an LED, but to operate at a lower power while providing the indication in some form.

Derek Koonce

Steve Robbins wrote:

Guys,

I think I’ve solved another problem that’s inherent with DS.  See the attached pdf.  (Only about 10 more tough problems to go!)

I’d sure appreciate some comments.

Steve