Re: [8023-POEP] What's the max voltage drop thru a midspan?

Steve,

I think that you have hit upon another assumption or limitation that we
should state in .at.   When 175mA/conductor current was established for
.af, I heard there was a lot of discussion about whether patch panels
could carry this current. I believe that your complaint is valid, but
applies to all aspects of .at that use equipment and infrastructure that
were not necessarily designed for .at.

I believe that we should make the basic assumptions for the standard
clear - perhaps in an addendum.  This will at least form the basis for
discussion at the individual installation level.

Examples of existing limitations are:
	Operate from conformant CAT3 or better
	Intra-pair resistance balance limitations
	Some form of temperature derating for cabling plant (from 60C
ambient)
	Patch panels and midspans must be designed to carry the current
	Compliance with structured cabling standards (or subsets
thereof)
	Compatibility limited to compliant .af equipment

While I think that the point is moot, it is unlikely that midspans,
which are basically power supplies, were designed with 1/2oz planes and
5 mil traces.  My guess is 2oz finished with 10 - 12mil traces and 1 oz
internal planes if they even used multilayer boards.  Almost all of the
temperature rise calculators are useless for all but isolated, straight
traces.  The inner layer graphs from IPC were just generated from outer
layer graphs with a derating of 2 or 4 (I forget).  Most of the online
calculators are based on the IPC graphs.  Power dissipation by devices
on the board also changes the temperature drastically.  Adding a lot of
copper to the board and inner layers drastically reduces the actual
temperature profiles. IPC data usually results in very conservative
trace sizing.  Don't count much on controlled impedance traces - in my
experience most board designers pay little attention.

That being said, there are few limits to how poorly an individual piece
of equipment may have been desinged.

Regards,
Martin

Martin Patoka