Re: [8023-POEP] System Architecture

Hi Yair,

Here are some thoughts on what you have suggested.

Regards,
 David

1. A single PD in a PoE system can get power from each 2P simultaneously.

I'm not sure I would look at things from the point of view of the PD as I
thought we were going to treat the 2 PDs that can be behind a single RJ45
as two separate PDs. I would therefore suggest we look at things from the
point of the RJ45, or using the correct Clause 33 terminology, the PI.
Based on this, and including support for legacy Clause 33 as well, I would
suggest:

[1] A single PI can support either [a] a single Low Power PD powered
through either pairs AB or pairs CD, [b] a single Medium Power PD powered
through pair AB or [c] two independent Medium Power PDs, one power through
pair AB and one powered through pair CD.

2. It is possible that a PD system will get power from N x Ports=RJ45 by
utilizing a PD system that is constructed fron N PDs.
3. item 2 is out of scope of the standard due to the fact that the
standard define what happen in a single port.

I'm not sure I would call this a 'PD system'. I would certainly agree that
a 'system' could get power through N x RJ45 connectors, each of which
would be a PI, with either 1 or 2 PDs 'behind' each of these PIs. I would
therefore suggest:

[2] It is possible for a 'system' to be powered through N x PIs with each
PI supporting either one or two PDs (see item [1] above).

[3] Specification for Item 2 is out of scope as the standards defines what
happens at a PI which is the conformance test point.