Re: [8023-POEP] Cable ad hoc conf call min

Terry:  What happens to the derating required if you bundle 50 lines, and  tie them with plastic ties every few feet into a solid mass?
What power can a cable, which is in the center of the bundle, safely dissipate?    This should be one of the items which the TIA has
gone off for further refinement.  The reason that I bring this up, is that electrical inspectors are a bit jumpy about this, and they
have no guidelines that either a contractor or an NFPA official can point to,  telling them that it's OK to bundle in free air, or as mentioned
below:  in either metallic, or nonmetalic conduit.

Best Regards

Maurice Reintjes
MindspeedTM
Hillsboro, Oregon,USA
Office Phone (503)-914-5370
Mobile (503)-701-0797

Terry Cobb <TRCOBB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: owner-stds-802-3-poep@xxxxxxxx

10/23/2006 12:32 PM
Please respond to
TRCOBB@xxxxxxxxxxxx

STDS-802-3-POEP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[8023-POEP] Cable ad hoc conf call min

Conference call minutes:

About 30 people in attendance, well attended by the cabling people.

Valerie reviewed the liaison from TIA and Shadi took questions regarding the responses. It was noted that TIA plans to have input to IEEE by our interim meeting in Jan.

The point was made that any temperature above the 20 degree operating temperature should reduce the length of the cable in order to meet the TIA or ISO insertion loss requirements. But the cable is rated to operate up to a maximum 60 degrees. There was a joint agreement that our objective should be to operate the cable within the maximum temperature. The intent of the liaison is to say a 10 degree rise due to the current in the cabling should not be a problem provided that the cabling stays within its maximum temperature rating. Note, there may be further refinement of this by the cabling group after internal discussions.

There was a question about the 50% of the pairs in the cable are powered or all pairs. In general people indicated that what was important is the maximum current on any pair of the cable due to the current.

There was a question on the importance of knowing DCRU and it was indicated this was important for 4 pair powering.

There was also a question about worst case testing conditions such as if the cabling is in a conduit.

I think this was a good conference call and we have a general agreement on the issues. At this point I do not plan to have another conference call unless others think it is necessary.

Terry