Re: [8023-POEP] Fwd: A timely article

Hi all,

I believe the pro's worth more the con's for the PoE technology.

Some of you admit that PoE is OK for low power applications.

I guess that what efficiency is the number 1 problem to those who don't
want more power.

The simple fact is:
If PoE is good for up to 12.95W according to 802.3af then from
efficiency point of view increasing the current and voltage to have more
power at the PD side for better cable such as in CAT5 (12.5 ohm)
compared to 802.3af 20 ohm cable resistance, allows more power with the
same efficiency.
So efficiency is not the issue.

The issue is the overall system cost and the value for customers and
their various applications.

It looks that there is a value and there is a growth in PoE market size
and applications which tells me that we are OK.

By the way, centralized power management saves much more power then
using wall wart for PDs that is working all the time. We have shown that
smart power management may increase average power capability by a factor
of 2 and yet using the same power supply size and cost.

Yair