Re: [8023-POEP] Fix to Draft Std 2.0 PSE State Machine

Hi Clay,

We discuss this topic many meetings and the decision was that PSE Type 2 can design if to assign class 0 or class 4 or to shut down the port.

The main argument not to assign it to class 0 or to Idle only is the customers looking for reliable operation more then anything else.

In 802.3af in case of bad class reading we assign class 0 in order to give max power to guarantee operation.

In Type 2 PSE we should allow the same concept. When you have bad reading, assign class 4 to allow operation. Or leave it to system decision.

I believe that alternative solution to get what you want would be:

If Type 2 PSE reads mixed results he can do:

a)       Go to idle

b)       Assign class 0

c)       Assign class 4

In this way you prevent doing incompliant solutions.

Yair