Technical Material for DTE Pwr via MDI

Colleagues-

Among the technical activities that we will have to undertake in the DTE
Pwr Study Group and the Task Force that will follow is a survey of the
constraints to the problem we are trying to solve and a survey of proposed
solutions.

I am providing two documents in that context only.

The first:
P802.9f Draft 7
Despite the documents finished appearance please do not consider this
document in any other context than as offered above. To my knowledge there
was never any formal balloting in 802.9 on the document. 802.9, the group
and the project have both gone away. The 802.9f project was withdrawn and
the PAR was cancelled. Most importantly, there was no systematic review of
the document during its development by 802.3. It MAY have valuable
material, but whatever is there has to be validated by our group in the
context of our own problem. The document is retrievable from:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/power_study/public/email_attach/802_9f.
pdf

The second:
FDDI TP-PMD Annex I (informative)
One of the major constraints on the generating a solution to the DTE power
problem is the "common mode termination" of unused pairs that is commonly
found on 100BASE-Tx implmentations (including 10/100). There is remarkably
little on this in the standards literature. The one place where it shows up
at all (and in rather minimal and unsatisfactory form) is the reference
above.  The document is retrievable from:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/power_study/public/email_attach/tp-pmd-
Anx-i.pdf

I expect both of these items to be useful during our technical discussions.

I look forward to seeing you in York.

Geoff

|=========================================|
| Geoffrey O. Thompson                    |
| Chair IEEE 802.3                        |
| Nortel Networks, Inc.  M/S SC5-02       |
| 4401 Great America Parkway              |
| P. O. Box 58185                         |
| Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185  USA         |
| Phone: +1 408 495 1339                  |
| Fax:   +1 408 988 5525                  |
| E-Mail: gthompso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     |
| Please see the IEEE 802.3 web page at   |
 http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/index.html