Re: DTE Problem Set

Unfortunately, I can't tell you what equipment uses what termination
techniques.  At the time at which I was collecting information, I went
through semiconductor application notes and collected as many varied types
of terminations as possible.  I then further enquired with 3Com engineers
and engineers at the IEEE meetings to expand the list of "known"
terminations.  I should state that the compilation only represents what I
have been able to identify, as 802.3 places no requirements, except pin to
GND isolation, designers are free to do what ever they want and probably
anything you can imagine shipped at some point in time.  With that said,
all terminations except for A (which may have also been used, but less so)
are the terminations found on various 100BASE-T ports.

As to shorting the pairs together, one termination technique that I have
not included, but probably should have, is the 1000BASE-T, which basically
shorts the two wires of the pairs together (at least from DC point of
view.)

I have copied the DTE study group on my reply because, while we are not
going to encourage proprietary systems, I feel it is important the group
know what is going on out there.  Also, while the two plus year schedule
for producing a standard may not fit in your time frame, I would encourage
you to follow what we are doing so that you stand at least a chance of
still calling your equipment "802.3 Ethernet" once the standard is
finished.

"Mike White" <mikewhite99@xxxxxxxx> on 02/02/2000 07:19:16 PM

Sent by:  "Mike White" <mikewhite99@xxxxxxxx>