Re: Discovery process

Here are my personal opinions:

First of all, I think that I mostly agree with you, Gérard.

The DTE power should be sent over the UTP cable based solely on the presence of proper identification and verification that the wiring is proper, i.e. a proper and successful discovery process. The discovery process should be independent of whether the end device is already powered. This would allow for the use of redundant power sources, as you mentioned, and make the particular sequencing of local vs. DTE power unimportant.
Also, DTE power should be applied without the need for any network management, for example in the case of a low end switch or hub. Network management would, of course, be an add on for larger systems that require power management and provisioning.

Here is the control sequence that I favor:

1) DTE power is not on
2) the discovery process keeps repeating until successful, then:
3) DTE power is turned on
4) a small minimum load is maintained at the terminal (load) end
5) if the load current falls below the minimum load, the DTE power is turned off
return to step 1.

As far as the discovery process goes, we need to select one that is robust, low cost, and easy to implement.

- Rick