RE: Signal vs. Idle debate (was: Here's a new idea)

I give up, I'm  jumping in.  It's hard to read all of this and not comment.
 Many doubt it will be a defacto standard because it has not been shown to
be robust enough, there is not one solution for mid-span powering, and many
of us are finding the announcement is only confusing customers and I
suspect making them shy away from any adoption, or even experiments, until
IEEE has a standard.  I believe historically in Ethernet any solutions at
odds with the IEEE standards have a limited market size and life.  Things
change, but "those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it".
In Ethernet IEEE standards have history on their side.
\Paul