Re: Boredom

OK, Roger, if you find time hanging heavy on your hands, how about telling
us a little about your proposed scheme?

I have a few questions to start with:

1. In the slideware, we always see a 4-pole relay at the DTE equipment end
used to switch out the discovery filter when power is applied.

a) Are you actually using a relay?

b) Do you have to use a relay for some reason, or could there be some
solid-state analog switching equivalent. If so, what are the isolation
requirements, etc.?

2. What kind of margins are you asking for/getting in terms of S/N on your
detection pulses?

a) Do you have to cope with a certain amount of bit errors here?

b) How about some scope pix of what the detection pulses look like after
they go through the filter and a round-trip run (200m) of CAT-5 cable and
magnetics?

c) What are the tolerances (maybe a template) on what the returned pulse(s)
must look like?

Our SPICE models show what we have seen in the slides to be rather
marginal, but we don't claim to have the whole picture.

These are the kind of questions that will have to be answered for the
standard even if your proposal were the only one, so you might as well get
started.

C'mon, dude, this is engineering! Enough of this THIS IS IT: DEAL WITH IT
jazz, already.

Regards,

Larry Miller