DTE Power: July Plenary Meeting

Colleagues:

Thank you to all presenters who made the deadline. Presentations received to
date may be found at
http://www.ieee802.org/3/af/public/jul00/index.html. Presentations which are
not yet complete will be available in hard copy at our meetings. Just a
reminder: Please do not send presentations or attachments of any kind to the
reflector. This is to avoid clogging up the system and to prevent the
possible spread of viruses.

Geoff Thompson, 802.3 Chair, has informed the Task Force chairs of 802.3ae
and 802.3af of a change to Task Force voting rules. 802.3 Operating rules
state that major decisions made within a Task Force must be voted on by the
802.3 WG. Task Forces are to present well-formed motions to the WG for vote.
From this point on, voting will be based on 802.3 Working Group membership.
Votes will be taken and or confirmed at the Working Group level.

Since WG voting is based on WG membership rules, the only reasonable basis
the P802.3af Task Force has for providing motions to 802.3 with a "good
chance of passage at the Dot3 level" and will be "durable and will survive
the Working Group Ballot Process" is to implement those same rules at the TF
level. The rationale is very simple. If all members (attendees) of the TF
and WG are of the same mind, then anything desired by the TF will be passed
by the WG. If, on the other hand, the two groups are of different minds,
then the only reasonable subgroup of the TF that can represent the WG is the
802.3 membership that is attending P802.3af.

Bringing more detailed business up to the 802.3 level will likely increase
the amount of time required for the WG closing plenary. It is critical for
all members of 802.3 to stay for the entire WG meeting and vote. Please plan
accordingly.

This will not affect straw polls, which will continue as prescribed in the
802.3 Operating Rules.

If there are questions, please contact me or Geoff Thompson directly.

We will have a full agenda next week with some very detailed technical
presentations. We will need to stay focused to stay on schedule.

I look forward to seeing you next week,

Steve

Steven B. Carlson
President
Co-Chair, ESTA Control Protocols Working Group
Chair, ESTA ACN Task Group
http://www.esta.org
Chair, IEEE 802.3af DTE Power via MDI Task Force
http://www.ieee802.org/3/af/index.html
High Speed Design, Inc.
11929 NW Old Quarry Road
Portland, OR 97229